Wednesday 10 June 2015

Yarn Along

Linking today with Small Things for this week's Yarn Along.

First up, I want to show you some gorgeous goodies that arrived in the mail this week. A while ago, I placed an order with Natalie at Remembrances. Her pottery is amazing - I'm sure lots of you have seen it before.



It took a long time to get here from Canada but due to Natalie's wonderful wrapping, all arrived safe and sound.







 Each item came in their own little fabric bags! And this is what they are:

A gorgeous yarn bowl. Well, that is what I am using it for. I think it is also a berry bowl.




 And the most divine cookie stamps!



 Look at those too cute designs!



And Natalie very kindly made a toadstool especially for me! I asked if it was possible, sent Natalie this image and voila! My own personalised cookie stamp!






And here are some cookies made with my lovely stamps.




 I love all my new goodies! Thanks so much, Natalie! Please head on over to Natalie's Etsy shop, At The Crossroads, for some lovely pottery, I especially like her new covers to change mason jars into vases. 




Now for Yarn Along. STILL working on the Shoulders jumper. Only a few more rows added as I have been working on my tea cosy for Woolly West Fest. Also my yarn arrived to knit parking meter cosies - look at the gorgeous colours! 



Now to plan how to use them! I am thinking an Aran type sampler with the cream and then a multicoloured one covered in flowers.

And here is the daffodil tea cosy so far. Just need to make more daffodils. The body is knitted in 2x2 rib with 2 strands of DK (8 ply), so is super thick and warm.  I want to make more tea cosies now!



I am reading a wonderful book called The Pink Suit. It is about the infamous pink suit worn by Jackie Kennedy on the day of JFK's assassination. I am about a third of the way through and so far Jackie has only featured a few times. It is about the dressmaker's called Chez Ninon, who made the pink suit and other outfits for Jackie. 



There had been some backlash about Jackie's extravagant French tastes so she used Chez Ninon in New York to make what were essentially cheaper knock-offs of French designers (they did get permission from Chanel for the pink suit - not sure if they did for all their creations). The pink suit would have cost $10,000 or so from Chanel and Chez Ninon made it for about $1,000. There are some other outfits mentioned as well, such as this navy-blue silk shantung suit that Jackie wore in Paris.



 So far the book is mainly about an Irish immigrant called Kate who is a dressmaker at Chez Ninon. Very interesting and so sad to read about the making of the suit when you know what happened. 



Look forward to seeing everyone else's knitting and reading!

23 comments:

  1. You had a very good mail week, that bowl and the buttons are just magnificent!
    And your tea cozy looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will show the finally finished tea cosy next week!

      Delete
  2. will check out the Etsy shop, just great that she was able to customize the cookie stamps. I will also be checking out the book as that sounds like a perfect book for me.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do have a look at Natalie's shop. I would buy heaps more but shipping to Australia would be too much. But you are in the same country! The book is good, a bit slow to start but I am getting into it now.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely package of goodies to receive! Love your tea cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It will be finished properly next week, with more daffodils!

      Delete
  4. I love Natalie's shop - her buttons are so sweet. The tea cosy is a delight! I'm the only tea drinker in my house so I usually just make a mug at a time, but maybe I'll have to get a pot just to make a tea cosy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love everything in the shop! Too bad I live so far away.

      Delete
  5. I love those cookie stamps! And the cute tea cosy, so very pretty :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cookie stamps are a real delight. I just love the tea cosy, looking forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! I just love them. I have made four daffodils now, four more to go!

      Delete
  8. Your cookies turned out Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this. It's a lovely post.
    PS: It's a yarn bowl /candle bowl- the berrry bowls have holes in the bottom too :) One dark winter night, when you aren't using it as a yarn bowl, light a candle in it and watch the pattern of light on the walls. so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie! I knew it had another purpose. I will definitely be trying that as I just love candlelight.

      Delete
  9. Love the cookie stamps! I never think to make pretty things like that! And I love the yarn bowl as well. Your book sounds really intriguing as well. It is sad to think about the actual outcome while reading, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad. It is like reading books about the Titanic or any of those events where you know what is going to happen. It is almost like I want to warn them or help them in some way.

      Delete
  10. gosh I would love a mail day like that one! Love your bowl :) I have a love of pottery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pottery too! Believe me, I would buy everything in the shop if I could afford the postage!

      Delete
  11. Great post - so much going on! I have not come across cookie stamps before but they are lovely especially the toadstool one. I like that tea cosy too, shame I don't drink tea really. Parcels of loveliness are one of life's greatest pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long wait for this one, but oh, so worth it! Natalie's cookie stamps are such a great idea. I have some antique wooden butter stamps which are lovely too.

      Delete
  12. How do you use the cookie stamps? Do you just roll a ball of dough and press down with t he stamp? So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I just used a biscuit recipe I had for rolling out, cut them out (the stamp doesn't cut the dough), press down with the stamp, done! I am going to make them with my gingerbread recipe as well, but maybe the picture won't show up as well on darker dough.

      Delete