Thursday 5 January 2017

Independence Days Challenge: Week Seventeen



As I talked about in a previous post, I am reading a book at the moment called Honeycomb Kids. The title refers to raising our kids to work in a community like bees, as the best solution to the uncertain future they will face.  So I am choosing my quote this week from this book.

'The other night, my husband and I were talking about life, death and the whole shebang, and we finally crystallised what would give us peace on our (hopefully very, very far-off) deathbed. It was simply the knowledge that our children and our children's children would be capable, resilient and robust; that they'd be able to work within themselves and with people in their community to find a way through; that they'd find creative, compassionate solutions to the problems they came up against.'
Honeycomb Kids: Big Picture Parenting by Anna M. Campbell pg 4

This is why I feel it is important to face our world's problems head on rather than hiding our heads in the sand and pretending everything is hunky dory. By facing the problems and doing something about them, we are empowering ourselves and therefore we will not feel as helpless and scared of the issues.

1. Plant something

I planted out three different types of pumpkin seedlings and sunflower and marigold seedlings. Mainly doing weeding at the moment though!

2. Harvest something

My peony poppies have all dried out and I have millions of seeds! I bought one poppy plant two years ago and let that go to seed. This year I had so many plants and now seeds coming out my ears!











Also harvested snap pea and broad beans seeds for saving.

I am getting about five eggs a day. My chooks are getting on in age, so I am looking at hatching some replacements. Nothing like cute little chicks!

In the herb garden, there is thyme, rosemary, mint, sage, curry plant and lavender.

3. Preserve something

Do poppy seeds count?! I also harvested dried sugar snap peas and broad beans for re-planting next year.

We also have the freezer SO full. I literally cannot fit another tiny thing in there. We butchered two pigs and a lamb in the last few months.

4. Minimise waste

Christmas always makes my head hurt with all the waste. Even when I make a conscious effort, there always seems to be waste. Everything comes with some sort of packaging that needs disposal. I really want to make Christmas handmade or recycled (op shop) gifts only. Surely I can convince everyone else one year!

5. Want not

I am planning on refining my prepping this year, so there should be lots coming in this area.






6. Cook something new


I must to admit that over the holiday season we have been living on salads and fruit. Just too relaxed (lazy!) to try anything new. But I have been reading some books from the library and have some new recipes to try out when I feel so inclined.


7. Manage your reserves


As mentioned above, I really need to get my supplies in order. I need to have more of a plan and lists set up, so that I am not ending up with 30 cans of baked beans that no one now wants to eat (yes, I have!) and then look in the cupboard and have no tinned tomatoes.




I need to start with the pantry, freezer and gardening supplies and move onto, well, basically the whole house!

8. Work on local food systems

I am really falling down in this area as I am thinking I need to get the home in order first and then work outwards into the community.




How are your homesteading plans looking for 2017?




Homestead Honey has a good post here on achieving your homestead goals.


Have you found any other helpful posts/links?







No comments:

Post a Comment