Tuesday 20 February 2018

On My Needles, Reading and Watching

What have I been up to lately?
I'll share a little here, although I seem to be spending a lot of time running around like the proverbial chook! I need to spend some serious time on setting some routines and planning more efficiently.


Watching - last night, I watched a fabulous movie. I just loved it! Maudie is the story of Maud Lewis. a Canadian folk artist who lived almost her entire adult life in a tiny house in Nova Scotia.


Sally Hawkins as Maud



Her paintings are just the type of gorgeous folk whimsy that I love.






And I would love to paint my house as she did; just adding flowers, butterflies and other images to the walls until one day the whole house ended up covered in them! Her house is now on display in the Art Gallery of Novia Scotia.
Look how tiny it is! Most people would call that a cubby house for kids!




And the pathos in the movie! Oh my, Sally Hawkins and Ethan Hawke were unbelievable as Maud and her husband Everett. Maud and Everett were so restrained and down to earth that the actors had to portray so much emotion in just the tiniest looks and movements. It was simply breathtaking to watch, certainly some of Ethan Hawke's best work. It is not a movie that is a blockbuster and I know my hubby would have been bored to tears waiting for something to 'happen', but it is a gorgeous record of a life lived simply. Let me know if you watch it - I would love to hear what you think!


Reading - as usual, I seem to have three or four books on the go, but the one I am mainly concentrating on at the moment (as it is due back at the library tomorrow!) is Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins. The book was first published in 1980, but I have never read Tom Robbins. I am only up to chapter 9 (lucky I'm a fast reader!), but so far I can see why the Amazon reviews are so varied. There are lots of either five star or one star reviews. Some call it quirky genius, other verbose and pompous. So far, I am leaning towards quirky and clever but we will see!




On my needles - as you can see, yet another dishcloth! You can never have enough of these stashed away, and they make great TV/movie knitting. I love this colourway, called Sunflower. I may have to try dyeing something similar.


Also on my needles is the Azel Pullover by Heidi May at The Velvet Acorn. I love all her designs! I have never been one to knit with bulky or chunky yarn - in fact, this is the first time I have ever knitted with it! But I am loving how quickly it is knitting up. And as I am hoping to make some of these patterns up to sell, that is definitely a benefit.
I didn't have any yarn in my stash so I am knitting two strands of 8ply together. It is a bit of an experiment to see what size I get!





It is Bendigo Woollen Mills Classic 8 ply - one in Plum, one in Smoke. What do you think of these two colours together? Yes or no?


And I do apologise for not replying to recent comments on my blog. For some reason, I cannot access commenting on my computer. Obviously some setting that I know nothing about, being totally techno illiterate! I am hoping to borrow my daughter's computer so I can get into commenting again!


Hope you are getting lots of crafting, reading and watching done - especially those who are having snowy, cold weather!



10 comments:

  1. My goodness, Maude Lewis' home was tiny, wasn't it. Her whimsical paintings and illustrations are beautiful. Wouldn't it be fun to have such whimsy painted on walls. Sounds like a most beautiful movie; I will have to try and hunt it down. Love the sweet little girl's pullover. Those wools should knit up beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a delightful movie. I am nearly finished the pullover, so show and tell soon!

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine living in something so small, but I guess you enjoy what you have. The stunning artwork is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It was so tiny! She was an amazing woman, so happy with what she had.

      Delete
  3. Those paintings are lovely,never come across her before but oh my her house is tiny! Love the colours you have mixed together for the Azel pullover, works beautifully. Hope you get your planning and routine all sorted something we are busy trying to work on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Routine is definitely always a work in progress! I think the colours are knitting up nicely, nearly finished now.

      Delete
  4. The movie Maudie looks really good, I still have not watched it, but I want to! The house is so tiny! I agree it does look like it is a playhouse for children. Lovely knitting so far, and I like the two colors together that kind of look like an animal print or camo to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a lovely movie and I am really loving how the pullover colours are looking.

      Delete
  5. I've been pinning and googling and watching the trailer of Maudie. So whimiscal! How did you see the film? On Dvd? The purple and grey is a perfect combo. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I borrowed it from the library. Not sure if it is on Netflix or any of those. I want to watch it again as it was just so lovely. I do like the way the purple and grey worked. I'm looking at doing another in two shades of green, I think. Hope you are well!

      Delete