Saturday 24 February 2018

Who Wants To See Some Dyeing?!

I have been having so much fun experimenting with dyeing and colourways.
And now I need your help with some opinions!


I purchased some gorgeous new bases from KnitPicks. I use Bendigo Woollen Mills for basic wool bases, but I wanted to try some others.

I have:


 - a 75% fine superwash Merino, 25% nylon and 5% stellina fingering blend - so pretty with the sparkle!
 - 80% fine Merino, 10% cashmere and 10% nylon fingering weight blend.
 - 85% Merino, 15% cashmere DK blend.
 - 70% Merino, 30% silk fingering blend.
 - 70% baby alpaca, 30% silk lace weight blend.
Then I use Bendigo Woollen Mills fine micron wool in 3,4,8 and 10 ply. They also have a 29 micron wool in 2ply. And an alpaca, wool, viscose blend in 8ply.


This gives me lots to play with! Although it is a bit daunting to commit to a colour for the more special bases - very scary!









I love to see all the skeins like this, hanging on the drying rack! Looks so pretty. I am still winding these so will have to post some finished photos of the full size skeins next week.


I dyed 10 mini skeins to try out some colourways and I would really appreciate your opinions. They are numbered 1 to 10 from left to right, to make it easier to identify!




I'll tell you later which are my favourites, so I don't influence you!
Also please let me know if there are any that you think don't really work and if you think they are saleable. Constructive criticism is how we learn!


I am really hoping to, finally, set up my shop. I have been working on a Facebook page, which is still set to private at the moment, until I can build up some stock to post. I would love to hear what you think would be great to sell, both dyed yarn and made up items. I have been prowling around Ravelry to look for all the designers that are happy for you to sell finished items from their patterns. And I am eternally grateful for the generosity of these designers in allowing sales. As I make items up, I will share them here so you can check out all these wonderful pattern designers too!





6 comments:

  1. Wishing you every success once you set up your shop. 2 & 3 are probably my favourite with 10 been my least favourite I actually like them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am now knitting them all into swatches so I will share them soon too.

      Delete
  2. Oh, you are clever, Jayne. I know I am not much help to you, but I actually love them all as each one would cater to each person's taste and preference. All the best for your new endeavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same! I love them all too. I could never choose just one!

      Delete
  3. Wishing you every success with your new shop, the dyes are beautiful, 3 and 6 are our favourites, had my girls take a look too, then 2,4 and 10, can't wait to see the swatches when you've knitted them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Helen! It is very exciting! I am dyeing like crazy to get ready to stock the Etsy shop on Friday 16th.

      Delete